Common Questions After a Motorcycle Accident in Las Cruces

Motorcycle accidents can be traumatic and disorienting, leaving victims and their families with numerous questions. At the Law Offices of Kenneth G. Egan, we understand the complexities surrounding these types of incidents. Here are answers to some of the most common questions we encounter:

  1. What should I do immediately after a motorcycle accident?

Your priorities after a motorcycle accident should be:

  • Seek medical attention: Even if you don’t feel injured, get checked by a medical professional as soon as possible. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
  • Call the police: File a police report, as this will be important for any insurance claims or legal action.
  • Gather information: Exchange insurance, contact details, and license plate numbers with the other driver(s). Take photos of the accident scene and any vehicle damage.
  • Contact an attorney: A motorcycle accident lawyer can protect your rights and guide you through the legal process.
  1. Should I talk to the insurance company?

It’s best to consult an attorney before speaking with any insurance representatives. Insurance companies often try to minimize payouts in order to save money, so it’s crucial to have someone representing your interests.

  1. How do I determine who is at fault?

New Mexico is a pure comparative negligence state. This means your compensation might be reduced by a percentage equivalent to your level of fault for the accident. An experienced attorney can analyze the police report, witness statements, and other evidence to help determine fault.

  1. What kind of compensation can I receive?

If you were injured in a motorcycle accident due to another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for:

  • Medical expenses: Past, present, and future medical costs related to the accident.
  • Lost wages: Income you lost due to being unable to work.
  • Pain and suffering: Physical and emotional distress caused by the accident.
  • Property damage: Costs to repair or replace your motorcycle and other damaged property.
  1. How long do I have to file a lawsuit?

In New Mexico, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits, including motorcycle accidents, is generally three years from the date of the accident. It’s important to act quickly to preserve evidence and build a strong case.

Let Us Help You Get the Compensation You Deserve

Motorcycle accidents can leave victims with debilitating injuries and financial hardships. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident in Las Cruces, contact us today for a free consultation at (575) 523-2222. Let our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys help. We are located in Las Cruces and are proud to service the surrounding areas, including Santo Tomas, La Mesa, Fort Selden, Radium Springs, Doña Ana, and beyond.